"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Candlelight Vigil No. 168, 5/13/09

"Aren't you the man who does those vigils on the street corner sometimes," asked a 57year old man at a gas station shortly after the vigil.

"Yes," I answered. "Those vigils take place on Wednesday evenings from 6 pm to 7 pm and they're done so that all those who have paid so severe a price in the Iraq war won't be forgotten."

"I've known a soldier who was killed in Iraq," he replied in a mournful tone, as he stared at me. "And I've known one who was killed in Vietnam and one who was killed in Korea. I know Ron Kovac, the Vietnam veteran from [the movie] 'Born On The 4th of July.' " [In the movie Tom Cruise starred as Ron Kovac].

"It takes a lot of caring to do what you do," he added. "Not many people would do that. Thank you."

It was a nice end to a vigil that attracted numerous horn honks and waves. It was joined by the 63 year old Haitian man who often joins, a 37 ish Cambodian refugee who sometimes does and by a 26 year old man who occcasionally does and did so last week as well.

President Obama was elected in part because he promised to end the six year old Iraq war. Instead, he continues it using the failed policies of George W. Bush.

The current promise from Mr. Obama is to withdraw some U.S. troops from Iraq. But instead of bringing them home safely to their families, they'll be sent to Afghanistan as he escates that war. It's a war now being fought on two fronts, as Pakistan is caught in the middle of the U.S.'s Afghanistan war. It's almost unbelievable.

How occupying Iraq and Afghanistan, spreading the war to Pakistan and killing large numbers of men, women and children, as well as "militants" in what's now being called "Af-Pak" will protect America's security is anyone's guess.

"Oh, it's vigil night," said a friend and neighbor with a big smile as he warmly shook my hand when I got home.

"Why do you think the war in Iraq is still being fought," I asked this well educated, well informed man. His eyes opened wide and he was about to answer as he motioned with his hand as if to make a point, when instead he fell silent. It was not something he'd recently thought about.

"I don't know," he said several seconds later as the smile left his face and he shook his head slowly from left to right a few times as he thought about it.

"Nor do I," came my reply. "What could the U.S. possibly accomplish by continuing this war?"

"It's about oil," he stated firmly after thinking about it for several seconds more. "Our economy depends on massive amounts of oil, and if need be we will take it. We have no alternative energy plan and if it comes to it we will keep taking it until we do."

"Under Saddam Hussein," I said, "Iraq was the world's 4th largest oil supplier and the U.S. may have been his biggest customer. We could afford to pay for his oil."

"Well," he replied with a sigh, "We sure screwed that up."

With that comment, my friend and I changed the subject and we walked off together in the warm and sunny night, both of us hoping these wars would end soon but neither of us comfortable that they would.

What do you think is the answer? Your compassionate voice is important. If you raise it you could make a real difference, one your brethren in Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan and in America desperately need.

Dick

No comments: