"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Candlelight Vigil No. 177, 7/15/09

"The [Iraq] war is over," said a 50 ish friend of mine on Tuesday. "They're withdrawing the troops."

"That's a common misconception," I replied. "Actually, they're moving the troops just outside the major cities. The U.S. has 130,000 soldiers and 132,000 mercenaries in Iraq. That is a huge presence.

"Those mercenary soldiers cost a lot more than the regular soldiers," he responded as his eyes opened wide at the thought of so many mercenaries.

"Yes," I answered. "The U.S. had never before had a mercenary Army until President Bush. I thought President Obama would disband that Army but he hasn't, nor does the U.S. news media cover it. It's as if they didn't exist."

This is a bad precedent dear reader for various reasons, among them that a mercenary Army doesn't necessarily support our democracy.

That was a prelude to last night's vigil.

"Thank you," called out a serious looking 30 ish man with close cropped black hair and a short black stubble beard, his eyes focused intensely on the sign. As he waved, I noticed a "Special Forces" designation on his pickup truck, which suggests he may be part of a U.S. elite fighting force.

"Thank you for doing that," said a 79 year old, 5 ft. tall woman using her personal shopping cart filled with groceries, as a walker, her cane inside the cart. Her hair was colored brown, her face was heavily lined but as she held the cart for support there was a spark of fire in her eyes and an energy about her.

"I pray for them," she said as she slowly approached the vigil and read the sign. "I wish I was younger so I could really do something about it.

"My nephew just got out of the armed forces after 20 years. He was over there and returned unharmed. He was glad to be out," she added.

"Have you met any of these people," asked a 42 year old man with blond crew cut hair as he hobbled over and pointed to the sign.

"Oh yes," I answered. "I've spoken with mothers who've lost their children there." He looked me squarely in the eyes and then nodded.

"I was driving by and read that sign," he stated, "and wanted to come over here and shake your hand. I just got back from there in December. I was there eight times.

"The last time I was there I took shrapnel behind the [left] knee and now I may have to have it replaced. But not yet.

"I served in the military for 23 years. I'm the 10 th generation in my family to serve in the military. Now my daughter is in training and she'll be deployed to Afghanistan in a few months. My oldest son is also going into the military."

Referring to the sign, he said "None of these people should ever be forgotten," as his voice rose to emphasize the point. "As long as we remember each other that won't happen.

"But I appreciate you calling it to people's attention." He then smiled at me and turned around and began to slowly walk back to his vehicle, each step a painful thrust forward. When he got about 25 yards away, he turned back and called out, "Thank you for spending your time doing this."

This vigil was also joined by a 63 year old Haitian man who often joins and by a 51 year old Englishman who occasionally does.

As the vigil came to a close, two rugged looking, 40 ish men with shaggy blond hair pulled up in a beaten up old gray sedan. One nodded at me and I said "thank you."

"For what," he snapped. "For supporting the vigil," I replied. He and his buddy smirked at each other and he said sarcastically, "I just saw your candle," and he and his buddy chuckled aloud, like the vigil was a joke.

I walked up to their car and looked the man speaking in the eyes and said, "This sign reads, "My candle is lit in memory of all who have died or been seriously wounded in the war in Iraq. It is also lit in consideration of the pain and loss felt by their families."

He and his buddy suddenly sat up straight and their smirks disappeared. "I do support that" the man replied, as his buddy nodded his approval. "Thank you," he said. "I will remember these people. It's important."

It was an interesting way to end the vigil. Getting the message to two tough men who expressed their sincere concern for others. It reminds us that we are all brethren and as such, it cries out to us of the foolishness of war.

Dick

No comments: