"Saddam Hussein killed a million Iraqis," screamed a large heavy set 50 ish man from his SUV. The rage echoed from his voice as he angrily jutted his jaw forward and his bright red face looked like it would explode.
His eyes bulged like little white ping pong balls. What triggered his rage is unknown but possibly he took offense to what he thought was a peace vigil. He drove off in the heavy traffic barely able to contain himself.
"Good for you," said a 35 ish woman walking by as she saw this man react so strongly.
"You are out here often," said a 20 ish woman as she walked up earlier in the vigil. "It seems like I see you every week."
"Every Wednesday from 6 pm to 7 pm," I replied with a smile. "Good," she stated. "That's really nice what you're doing."
"You're like a Minister," said a 50 ish woman as she walked up with her 50 ish husband. "We often see you out here with other people and you really listen to them. You really care.
She is right. I do listen and there are many of us who really care.
A case in point came during the latter part of the vigil when it was joined by a 57 year old Slovakian man. "The U.S. economy is terrible," he remarked.
"And it's getting worse. People say it's going to be worse next year but I'll keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't get worse."
"Yes," I replied. And then pointing to the vigil sign I said, "Many people don't see the connection between the financial cost of war and how it drains the economy. It's a horrific cost and one the U.S. cannot afford."
He stared at the sign and then stated, "Everything in Iraq is bad!" He said it's not only those who are killed but "so many people lose their arms, their legs."
He explained how his family had participated in both World Wars and the damage those Wars wreaked on Europe.
He discussed living in Paris for five years and elsewhere in Europe and in the U.S, aside from living in the Los Angeles area now. A point he made is how we are all very much alike and how foolish war is.
"I was a musician for 26 years," he added at the end of the vigil. "I played the saxophone and the clarinet. Music makes people happy and it brings out the love in them."
He said those words with such warmth and sincerity and it concluded the vigil in a hopeful tone. For if we can focus on our commonality, such as the joy music brings us, together we can find the basis to peacefully resolve our issues.
Dick
No comments:
Post a Comment