"You have got to add Afghanistan to your sign," pleaded a 40 ish man on a bicycle.
"I remember you requested that a few weeks ago," I replied. "My sign isn't big enough to accommodate another word but most people seem to have mentally added Afghanistan to the sign."
He smiled and then stated, "Of course America can't win in Afghanistan without securing Pakistan. The Soviet Union learned that.
"But then nobody has ever won in Afghanistan," he added as he shook his head from side to side as if saying no at the thought of it. "I'm glad you're out here."
"Her nephew is serving in Afghanistan," called out a large heavy set 55 ish man from a car, as he pointed to the 50 ish woman next to him. "He served two tours of duty in Iraq."
"He's a Marine," she said. "Yes," he added. "And they discharged him. But they called him back in and sent him to Afghanistan."
"I hope he returns safely," I said, while looking each of them in the eyes.
They were visibly upset, as they stared at the vigil, and then fighting back tears the man said, "It's people like you who care that is so important. Thank you."
Meanwhile in Iraq, on Tuesday in a town near Fallouja, a car bomb exploded killing at least 11 people and severely wounding 31 more. In a heart beat life abruptly ended for some while others fought desperately for their lives, as their terrified families rushed to the scene.
Also, The Los Angeles Times today published, "Hope survived one Iraq bombing, but not the second: After the recent attack on the Iraqi Foreign Ministry, all that a Times staffer can think about is leaving the country."
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-two-bombings8-2009oct08,0,2467596.story
If he does leave, he'll join at least 21/2 million other Iraqis who have fled this nation of 25 million people since the 2003 U.S. invasion and occupation. This man is torn. He feels the situation is hopeless and wants desperately to leave but can't stand the thought of leaving his family behind.
But at the vigil thousands of miles away, a 50 ish man and his wife walked up."I always see you when I'm driving home at night," he said. "What is the main thing that motivated you to do this?"
"Speaking with mothers who have lost their children there," I replied. "There are other reasons as well but by being out here for an hour, I remind people in perhaps a thousand cars, these people exist and the price they've paid."
The couple shook their heads in agreement and he reached over and shook my hand. It was a nice way to end last night's vigil.
Dick
No comments:
Post a Comment