"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

Friday, December 18, 2009

Candlelight Vigil No. 199, 12/16/09

"Remember when you're out there doing your candlelight vigils, that this is a very hard time for us - all of us that have lost their children."

This was a telephone call from my sister Lisa, a single mother whose only child Justin was killed in a car accident in 1998 when he was just 23.

"I've been going through a very hard time," she continued, her words spilling out with such heartache in her voice. "And I know it's not just me. I know the holidays are very hard, very hard fighting depression and missing the person so much.

"So your candlelight vigils are very needed. And just keep in mind when you're doing them that they are needed more now than ever."

Her feelings are shared in part by thousands of families that have lost their children in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. And sadly, more families will bear the brunt of such a severe loss as the death and destruction goes on in Iraq and is escalating in Afghanistan, both in the name of peace.

Meanwhile, at the vigil, the night was filled with honking horns, waves and call outs of support.

"They do amazing work over there," said a 35 ish man as he stopped to talk. "I wouldn't have the guts to do what they do. It's nice of you to do this. Thank you."

"I see you out there on the street corner," said 40 ish woman right after the vigil ended. "Do you get a lot of support?"

"I do." "God bless you for doing that," she said with a sigh as she stared at the sign. With a soft smile, I thanked her for caring and dear reader, thank you as well for your support

Dick

No comments: