"I read your sign," said a 60 ish powerfully built man as he walked up. "And I support it. I was a Marine in the Vietnam war era. Now I'm anti-war. I belong to an organization called Veterans Against War," he added as we shook hands.
This was indicative of a vigil filled with supportive horn honks, waves and two fingered peace signs. People called out from their cars, "I appreciate it very much," "God bless you," "Thank you for doing that," and other words of support.
But dear reader, there were also two incidents I'd like to share with you:
In the 1st incident, a bus stopped at a red light. Bus drivers have been some of the strongest supporters of this vigil. But when I approached her bus to speak to her, she refused to open the doors, apparently fearful of me, as she pulled back in her seat and nervously kept her arms raised in a defensive position.
Seeing this and not wanting to alarm her any further, with a soft smile, I stepped back on to the sidewalk and waved gently at her. She eased up a bit, releasing the tension in her body. But appearances aside, it was hurtful for me and I ached inside for no-one wants to feel like a pariah or a lunatic.
It was nothing personal for she doesn't know me. She only saw a sign which she probably didn't read and a candle and because the vigil is something different, she feared it and she may even have thought I might demand money.
In the 2nd incident, a few moments later, two tall, thin 20 ish men walked by. When I smiled and greeted them as I usually do to passersby, they turned away. Hearing them speaking French I said, "Are you foreign exchange students?"
"Yes," replied one. "We have to leave," he added as the two snickered at each other, seeing the vigil as something to laugh at. As I watched them walk away, I thought of young people like them who don't get involved because they think America's wars don't affect them.
But as the global economy trembles under the weight of America's massive and growing financial deficits, and the job market continues its sharp decline, they will soon realize it will have a powerful impact on them, particularly as they seek work.
Soon another bus came by, and despite the green light, he slowed down, blasted his horn and waved in support. I must have beamed a thousand watt smile as I waved back at him.
Meanwhile in Iraq on Friday [7/31], six bombs exploded one after the next in various areas of Baghdad, killing at least 29 people and seriously injuring 60 more.
Ironically, it came at a time when the Iraqi government complained to the U.S. government about a State Department bulletin warning Americans against "all but the most essential travel" in Iraq.
The bulletin said Iraq "remains dangerous and unpredictable" and warned about terrorists, kidnappers and other criminals. The Iraqi government feels this discourages Americans from investing in their country, primarily because of this "perception of violence."
It struck me as ironic for another reason as well. This is what the U.S. has to show for a trillion dollars spent on the death and destruction of this 61/2 year old war. It's still too dangerous for most Americans to be there. As is apparent, it is also terribly dangerous for Iraqis as well.
But near the end of the vigil, one of my favorite occurrences took place. A car stopped at the traffic light and a child in the back seat, a boy about 8, motioned at the sign and asked his mother about it.
She leaned over and explained it to him, as he nodded his head and looked at the sign with fascination in his eyes. Perhaps the curiosity of this child for what he witnessed and that of many more children like him will help to plant the seeds for a better, more peaceful tomorrow.
Dick
No comments:
Post a Comment