"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Candlelight Vigil No. 184, 9/2/09

"Here is a donation," called out a 50 ish lady from her car as she reached out with greenbacks in her right hand. "I don't accept donations. But thank you for your kindness," I replied.

"Are you sure," she said, her voice rising and "sure" was drawn out over 2 seconds to emphasize her question as she leaned forward reaching for my hand. "I'm sure," I answered with a smile.

"But you could donate that money to a charity. My suggestion is to donate to New Directions in West Los Angeles. They take care of seriously injured and troubled U.S. soldiers returning from the wars."

"New Directions," she said, repeating it again slowly to absorb the name. "Thank you," I added. She smiled and waved as she drove off.

Last night's vigil drew a strong response, with horn honks, waves, 2 fingered v-shaped peace signs and 2 donation offers. It was joined for several minutes by the 45 ish Merchant Marine from last week's vigil.

And it was joined for an extended time by John Fortier, a Korean War veteran and peace activist, who conducts a vigil every Friday evening. A retired school teacher, he offers insight into political and military affairs and it is a pleasure to listen to him.

Meanwhile across Iraq, 456 Iraqi men, women and children were killed in August, the heaviest death toll in 13 months as violence is rising sharply. Most were killed by bomb blasts which also wounded thousands of others.

U.S. soldiers as well continue to be killed and wounded. Why? What can be accomplished by all of this death and destruction and heartache? Each day families are devastated and millions more live in fear they or a loved one will be next.

While in America, people angrily argue over whether we can afford to pay for health care for 47 million poor men, women and children who have no coverage. Yet hundreds of billions of dollars are spent to continue the Iraq war and to pay for weapons and mercenaries to help fight it.

And in Afghanistan, America is pouring in thousands more soldiers and mercenaries to "win" the nearly 8 year old war. A "win" is undefined, as is how much longer this war will go and how many more billions of dollars it will devour. Instead, the military is sending in more "trigger-pullers," which means more death and destruction.

"You have to accept this," screamed a frantic man as he honked his horn at the end of the vigil. As I approached his car this 50 ish man held out a $20 bill. "My son is in Afghanistan. Take this money!"

"Thank you sir, but I don't accept donations," I replied. "But I strongly recommend New Directions in West Los Angeles." His mouth dropped open, as a startled look came over his face, apparently surprised I wouldn't take his money.

"New Directions, okay" he said slowly as thought about it. Just then he remembered he was in heavy traffic and as he turned his head to see all around him, I wished him and his female companion a good evening and stepped back.

It was clear this man is agonizing about his son's safety like millions of other families with similar anxieties.

What is the answer? Peace. Instead of escalating the Afghanistan war and spreading it to Pakistan and continuing the war in Iraq, President Obama could call a cease fire and negotiate settlements.

It will likely happen eventually anyway. But the longer America waits, the more blood will be spilled, the more seeds for future wars will planted and the more money that could buy health care coverage will instead be wasted.

It's up to you and me. We can ignore the wars. Or we can speak up for our Iraqi and Afghani brethren who have no voice in America and for our military families who also have paid a severe price yet whose voices are ignored.

Together we could make a difference and help those who desperately need our support.

Dick

No comments: