"Some friends of mine pointed out that all the Republicans do is attack Obama," said a 65 year old woman as the vigil began. "He's doing the best he can."
"If they have ideas, they should offer them. Otherwise they should get out of the way. We should all be able to work together to solve our problems," she added, shaking her head in frustration at the Washington infighting.
A little later, a 75 ish woman in a small gray car pulled up, put her window down and with a big smile, leaned over and reached for my hand. When I reached back, she shook my hand firmly. "Finally," she said, inferring that was something she'd wanted to do for a long time.
Later in the vigil, as the heavy traffic moved by, an 80 ish woman in a large gray car stopped her car in the right lane, blocking traffic and then waved her support.
Picture the setting. Two lanes of traffic in each direction, plus left turn lanes for a total of six lanes. Traffic backed up in her direction for about 75 yards. It was interesting that no-one honked in anger.
Meanwhile in Iraq, on Monday, 39 Iraqis were killed and 70 were seriously injured in a series of bombings that stretched from Baghdad to Baquba to Ramadi, a wide swatch of that nation.
While on Tuesday, roadside bombs killed 4 U.S. soldiers and 6 Iraqi police officers. How many others were injured was not reported.
Understandably, the U.S. military withheld the names of its dead soldiers until their families could be told this tragic news. Because the U.S. has 131,000 troops there, it means 131,000 families nervously waited on pins and needles to see if one of those slain soldiers was theirs.
While on Wednesday, 44 Iraqis were killed and 61 were injured in attacks across Iraq. In one of those attacks, at 12:30 am, a suicide bomber drove into a 250 family village of mud-brick homes with his explosive laden truck.
Moments later, only piles of rubble remained where many of their homes had stood, while others had their roofs destroyed and their windows were blown out. 20 men, women and children were killed and 43 more were seriously injured. Rescue workers continue to dig through the rubble for additional survivors but the death count will likely grow.
Many survivors struggled to get medical help while others placed what was left of their belongings in pickup trucks, in some cases with no place to go. But at least they survived.
Meanwhile, the Washington Post and other news sources reported the U.S. is quietly adding "contractors" in Iraq. This is in addition to the more than 130,000 contractors [mercenaries] they already have there. It seems the U.S. military presence will grow, despite public statements to the contrary.
But thousands of miles from Iraq, as the vigil came to a close, a Vietnam era Army veteran, a 1966 draftee, read the sign and wanted to talk.
"Did you lose someone over there," he asked. "No," I replied. "But I feel as though I've lost everyone over there. I've spoken with mothers who have lost their children there and it is heartbreaking."
"Did you serve in the military," he wondered. "No I didn't," I answered.
"Did you flee to Canada," he asked. "No! In 1965 I wrote a letter to my draft board offering to go into the military. But at the end of the letter, I said if you don't draft me I intend to go back to college. For whatever reason, they didn't draft me."
"I thought I would be sent to Vietnam," he replied. "But instead, they sent me to Germany." "We both had a remarkable twist of fate," I stated. "I'm sorry for those who had to go to Vietnam."
"Why do you do these vigils," he inquired. "Because I don't want these people to be forgotten. The news media gives them little coverage. Yet they have paid so severe a price. In the hour the vigil goes, perhaps a thousand cars will pass by. That's a lot of people who can see the sign."
"In World War ll, we had a bad guy," he said. "It was a war we needed to fight. In Vietnam, in Iraq and in Afghanistan, we are not proud of what we are doing. That's why you don't see it. It seems like no-one is held accountable for these decisions.
"But I guess the soldiers fight and die so you are free to display that sign," he added, seemingly trying to find some justification for today's wars.
"I wish that was so," I replied. "But in Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan our freedoms were not at stake. I don't know why the soldiers must fight and die and I'm not sure many of them do either. It's a tragedy."
Staring at the sign, his eyes saddened and his shoulders slumped forward, as he nodded his head in agreement.
He then changed the subject to 9/11. "For whatever reason, I woke up at 6 am that morning," he said. "That's earlier than I normally wake up. I turned on the television and saw the second plane hit the Twin Towers.
"I was stunned," he continued as his eyes opened wide. "I'd never seen anything like this!"
"Nor had I," I replied. "But I've been conducting this vigil for the last hour and my back has grown tired so I've got to end our conversation. Thank you for sharing your thoughts."
We shook hands and he gripped my hand firmly. Wednesday night's vigil had come to an end.
These wars continue because of the vast silence of the American people. And each war plants the sickening seeds of hate and bitterness that lead to future 9/11s.
To the Military-Industrial Complex these wars are very profitable and they reward politicians who support them. A crucial lesson they learned from Vietnam is not to show the bloodshed and other horrors to you. Hence they censor it and you see very little of the immense pain and suffering caused in your name and with your money.
If we as a people unite, we can end these wars and instead invest in the well-being of all of mankind. And we will set a marvelous example for our children as they see us peacefully resolve our differences with others.
Dick
No comments:
Post a Comment